What Can I Do With a Major in Mathematics?
The answer to this question is easy: almost anything you want! Graduate school in mathematics is one option, needless to say, and some of UF’s top recent math majors have gone on to pursue Ph.D.’s in math at highly-ranked graduate programs, including those at Columbia University, Cornell University, the University of Chicago, the University of California at Berkeley, and the University of Wisconsin at Madison. But our majors go on to a wide variety of jobs, as well as graduate school in business, law, engineering, medicine, and science. Here are some helpful links to give you an idea of the versatility of a major in mathematics.
- Monster.com’s “Major-to-Career Converter”
- FACTS.org: Florida Academic Counseling and Tracking for Students. Click on “Career Planning”.
Pages posted by math societies
- career information from the American Mathematical Society (AMS)
- career information from the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics(SIAM)
- career profiles from the Mathematical Association of America
- mathematics careers bulletin board from AMS and SIAM
- “Be An Actuary” informational page by the Society of Actuaries and the Casualty Actuarial Society
- career resources page from the website of the Association of Women in Mathematics
Resources for prospective teachers
- UFTeach recruits top UF math and science majors and prepares them for rewarding teaching careers
- Florida Department of Education
- Alachua County Teachers of Mathematics
- Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Sample sites from other institutions